2021_05_05 Is this a "eureka" moment?

2021_05_05  After months of failures electrically, is it possible that I have found the fault? 

My rather unique wiring design may have actually become unraveled those many months ago, when I decided to replace my stop lamp circuit protectors with NCE  EB1 circuit breakers.  And looking back over this blog, the timing is about right.

And so today I am going to attempt to fix  those circuit breakers by separating and isolating the whole BG system from the SG system.

The idea is to run two 8 amp Digitrax controllers  by adding a booster (again) The booster will run the entire SG system after I disconnect it from the first command station.

Some pictures.

After separating the BG track from the common black (-ve) track circuits, I had run a new bus to this board. As you can see the main power bus arrives at the top and divides into 4 circuit breakers. So BG and SG circuits share a common feed. Each pair of EB1 breakers controls a track section which consists of one or more BG tracks and one or more SG tracks In this case the top two EB 1's run the entire Coal Siding and the bottom two run the double track main between the Coal siding and Wodonga.

I was thinking this last section was two short to have its own circuit breakers and I was about to add Wodonga into this circuit, when I noticed that the black (-ve) was actually not protected from a short, and in fact was reintroducing the common black (-ve)  to the system.

The back of the board shows the electronics on top and through connection on the bottom. 

The through connections marked with black dots are directly connected together thus bypassing the circuit protection.

And so it all starts again!  Obviously I have little electronics training, and just learnt enough to be dangerous.



No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments and suggestions from like minded individuals always welcomed. Help make this railway better :D