2015_06_06 (Back Drops)

2015_06_06 Heater on ,heavy cloud, but sun is shining most of the time.

Been crook most of the week. Kidney giving pain on Tuesday and could hardly walk Wednesday. Not sharp enough for a stone, so probably a chill. Feeling ok today, so Graeme decided to come over and give me another big push on the model railway. Nice mate he is too!!

So whilst Graeme (Schulz) filled up the gaps with plaster, I got to straigtening up the back boards and securing them as they were just loosely fitted.  We spent 4 hours on it and got a lot accomplished. I used a premixed Filler last Monday and it was still damp today. So we used cornice cement, this time and it did dry better, abling Graeme to get three coats on.
If you remember we had strengthened steel brackets set into the plaster to take the wobble out of the top deck and they had to be plastered over. Some pictures.
(Note it took half my time to finish clearing the decks, the remainder to secure the back boards to a new frame which helped straighten them all out)

The frame on top helps to increase the back board to 600 mm standard (Haskell back ground)  I will need to glue strips of Masonite on above original and fill it and sand it back.

Its a bit hard to see, however the painted back boards here rippled and were not flat, but now the top bracing has almost pulled it flat again. The joins are still wet a week after I applied selleys pre mixed stuff and will have to be replaced

Look no more steel support brackets :)

Really pleased with this, Tanks Graeme ;)

The join in front of the clamps has a lump of wood behind forcing it out of shape. Next job is to remove it to allow it to sit correctly.

Graeme says we can sand it back and put another coat over the top, before undercoating it all.

So much to do. The wiring is on the to do list as well :(