2017/09/16

2017_09_16 Catching up and Sat Workday!

2017_09_16 Lot of work is happening but as for last post, hard to show it in pictures, But lets give it a go :)

Caulfield 2017



Victorian Railways  6 Ton Yard crane re-released by Lyndons trains  www.lyndonstrains.com


Latest version WOW sound for Diesels


Rolling Road test bed.


Nice little buildings for Bullarto.


Mike produced these tidy little electro point modifications. So I bought them from him. Thanks DCC Mike :)


 A lot neater than mine :(


SDS 40 Foot containers. Some (most of) metal plates rattled off in the delivery from China. Simple fix with a little silicon and they are fine now.


Nice stuff coming from this mob :)

And I got a pack of the J, 4 wheel cement hoppers from Austrains which I think I already featured earlier?

So by Saturday after steadily moving around the layout changing out wiring to help with fault finding we get to today with two projects going on.

Graeme came in to add some more cover on his scenery project.

Scenery


Covering up the pink paper towels :) The cutting South of Wodonga.


House Creek.  Lighting changed colours.


Looking further South towards SG Loop (Beyond our mystery tunnel :) )


Need to finish the base of the fascia
.

Home Hill :)
 
 
 Down past the Loco and towards Coal Siding (North)

Wiring up the point motors we installed last week.


Running out of Tortoise Motors, but I found these, purchased a few years back, because they came from an Australian Business. They look great, operate well, and had a price advantage. A huge disadvantage is that they cannot easily be operated manually (like a Tortoise can) They can only move under power. Anyway these are ready to use when we actually run out of the green ones.
 

Whilst looking for more Tortoise machines, I also found these!
They are all provided with a DCC address, and so I will use them in Albury Yard for main line point control.


So when Al arrived, it was time to wire the Trentham points, all 7 of them.


Wiring went quickly, but one point motor failed to work. Replacing it lost us a heap of time. But eventually all 7 points were wired in and working.
The 3 way point needs the frogs to be wired. I have two point motors and three frogs. I don't remember which two get wired together. Will look that up now, and job finished.


Half these wires are obsolete. I removed them, and we were just adjusting some track, and getting to the tidy up stage, when I cut an actuator piano wire with the dremmel to clear couplings. The heat melted the tie bar, and I have to replace it with a brass one. I should have removed power from motor and centered it, because the pressure of the actuator which was red hot as I cut it, melted plastic bar and that was that :(

 

So instead of finishing the job, I had to remove the point and need to replace the bar to work the blades from side to side.

Well that's about it.
Thanks for the company Graeme and Al, we did great work. Cheers
Rod

2017/09/04

2017_09_04 After Caulfield a week of important jobs, that really dont show.

2017_09_04 Scenery, adjusting track and fixing faulty rolling stock by finding out why derailments occur. First look at track, then look at wheels or couplings. Fix the problem!

So that's what Al and I did all day Friday, and we fixed quite a few problems.

Saturday  Graeme spent a day here and we completed  covering the foam with towels ready for top coats.
What will hold this up is fixing the Masonite fascias in place to form the terrain to. Ok need to get them cut at Bunnings, I guess.


Covered and stiffened with fiber towels in white glue (50/50) Brushed on. 


 The Wodonga cutting to House Creek is going to be very nice.


 House Creek up to Kelly Street, and Home Hill.


covering all except the rock molds.

I decided to buy a couple of points from Evan in Indonesia.


I was thinking of using the double track Y point here. The right tracks head up the helix, and the left tracks become the reverse loop. However the left hand side of the Y would have to turn too sharply to the right,to form the loop. So by moving the tracks to the left a little a new double track, right hand junction will fit this place perfectly.


And so Evan will make two more points for me. Here the reverse loop returns to Albury. I can make this junction with Peco Points. However If I move the points to the junction represented by the bit of roadbed sitting on top, and Evan builds me a left hand double track junction, I can save baseboard for Albury, and the point leads straight into the curve. Not a bad investment, as Evan does great work :)

So that brings me to today
Point Motor day at Trentham! 
I was disorganised as ever, but we did get seven Tortoise machines in place, even after breaking two tie bars, removing points and replacing them with brass tie bars.
We got there Al, Thanks mate we did good today :D


We had to pull the trolley out of storage , and laying on my back, I was able to locate the point motors in place and screw them home


Al helped locate the spring wire in the throw bar and held it whilst I made sure the motor was centered.Two screws tighten up and test. The wiring is complete to the points. But the switches are yet to be connected to 12v bus. And as well the live frog is not connected to the Tortoise SPDT switching.. But all is ready to go next time. And finally all those hanging wires can be set in place and be out of sight.
Cheers
Rod