So apart from some small jobs in wiring department, I did manage to play around with my computer and try and get Decoder Pro working on it.
As well I stripped down my two new Alco 48's (830) and started to fit sound inside them.
A spontaneous purchase ;) At Liverpool last year . I bought this one and another SAR 830. They dropped the price to $180 each, almost half would the opposition will charge, by the time theirs make it to market. The wow decoders were $145. A lot cheaper than loksound. If I can get the whistle right, will be very pleased.
Quick search of the internet to find out the pitfalls and problems. Google was not my friend. However DCC downunder and Main North DCC did help a lot.
This time I did read parts of the WOW installation leaflet, but missed the best bit...DUH!!
By the way this is the largest decoder that will fit the long end hood. But you do need to hard wire it.
Ok here we are ready to start.
I removed the couplers as per the directions, however the body was firmly stuck on. So not wishing to break it, I searched internet to no avail.
(Later my friend Gerry Hopkins Mmr told me that he does it this way....
Rod, remove the coupler box as shown - then use two tooth picks between the frame and the back of the buffer on each side - the frame will move from the body - just a little. Do the same at the other end and the body lifts off. Next remove the fitted speaker and see how far you can throw it!)
But I came up with another equally as good solution, by examining the model and finding out a few problems on the way.
As Gerry said...horrible speaker, but before you chuck it, use a razor saw and cut away the lighting board support after noting exactly where it sat on the speaker box.
Removed the speaker and cut wires
Then I cut down the 14 x 25 WoW 2 watt speaker box, to fit exactly where the original box sat.
I had to carve out the inside of the box, as each corner has a speaker support to stop speaker from falling in. I thought I needed to cut more of the box away, however the wow speaker was already almost sitting on the bottom, and I did not want to make it rattle. If my calculations were correct, the body would fit on, as long as I did not bunch up the wires over the top of them. (I lined them up side by side and that was ok)
Having marked the position of the lighting board, I attached it with the glue in the yellow hornby bottle. Not sure what it is, but it sticks everything with a 2 minute built in delay.
Reinforced it with a bit of scrap square plastic.
Then simply taped the wires side by side over the top of the box, as I connected all the wiring up.
Test running it, I found headlights were reversed, so apparently the short end is not the front. Easy job to flick the yellow and white wires across
ok so lets give it an (almost) static test run.
So almost finished. Using notch up and down to create noise and throttle position 1 to move it just a little :) Now don't you just love this thing :D