2019/11/13

2019_11_14 Something different Dimmable LED's

2019_11_14  I sorted  out a 3m section of LED strip and hooked it to a dimmer switch.

Unfortunately the camera compensated for brightness and pictures don't show the difference.
The brightest setting hurts your eyes and after 10 minutes the aluminium heat sink was very hot to touch. As I see it the LEd's are cold, however the surface mount resistors are many and cumulative heat is the result.
Also I have a 12v regulated switch mode power supply. I might have to check the output voltage on that too.
I think I prefer the sunny white strips I have been using. The white it pretty stark?


 This pic was without any dimmer, but camera refused to show it!


 This one was dimmed to 25% and camera again compensated. Might run a video and see if that works. However my wiring project continues and this section is dead at the moment. Got to have a train moving in a video ;)


Here is a comparison picture of the sunny whites at full voltage and the 6500 kelvin daylight whites at about 50%, which is about as bright as I can stand. Not bad for $17 au a 5 m legth and $22 au for a 30 amp dimmer. :D That's the dimmer resting on the hill.
Just checked for heat, and after 3 hours (at 50% dimmed) the strip is cool.

Tip of the day! 
When using these LED light strips with 3M adhesive backing strips, it is not simply a matter of wiping the surfaces and sticking them on.
You will notice most of mine are starting to release and hang.

Aluminium angle (etc) have a chemical release agent to help them in the extrusion process.
Plastic also needs a release agent to fall out of the mold.

It requires something like Isopropyl alcohol to clean them properly. and unless you paint the surface, don't even think they will stick to wood.

Cheers
Rod

1 comment:

  1. I painted the wood on my LED mounting strips (20mm x 20mm pine trim, left over from a flooring project) with two coats of gloss white paint, and the 3M adhesive still let go.. ended up putting a few spots of CA every few feet to help stop it drooping

    ReplyDelete

All comments and suggestions from like minded individuals always welcomed. Help make this railway better :D