2020/05/04

Addendum to 2020_05_04

2020_05_04  A few hours later.....


Well I never actually found the cause, however I have decided it was one of these plugs


 These plugs make a nice solid connection, however the Tortoise machine decided to use a narrower non standard plug, didn't they? Here the plug is centered and operates ok.


 This plug is off center, which shorts out the power wires

 These plugs come in many variations. However 8 years ago,this was the plug available and I bought sufficient to operate my 30 Tortoise switch machines.
I do believe a new "blue" plug can be purchased now that fits the Tortoise snugly and cannot create these problem shorts.

I removed all the plugs from the local Tortoise's and reset them, and when I reconnected the one that burnt my wiring, the short was gone.

All fixed and trains running on this section once again
Cheers
Rod

1 comment:

  1. Rod, I have heard of regular problems with the PCB connectors not connecting properly and as a consequence certain switching functions of the Tortoise fail to operate. This is the first time that I have heard of a direct short occurring between the two motor wires. Very disturbing!. Of course the 25A unprotected power source is partly responsible. Please contact Circuitron to make them aware of this design fault as/if the Tortoise spacing is non-standard. There is a solution to this problem. Either widen the PCB with shims so the connector cannot move sideways or apply shims inside the connectors to the same effect. Cheers for now, John.

    ReplyDelete

All comments and suggestions from like minded individuals always welcomed. Help make this railway better :D