2013/05/09

2013 May 7 and 8

2013 May 9

The painted boards were dry by Tuesday but I was still not ready to lay track. So I decided, instead to start getting stores in place. So I needed 21 point motors ready to attach to 21 new points.
The point motors needed to be put togeter and that was the first job to tackle.
Then I need to attach 5 wires to every point to connect the live frogs.
Then I need to assemble the "singlet" DCC point controllers which is really only adding two LEDs and two push buttons to the board and drilling out a template for the push buttons to mount into.
This means I need to think about the control panels. Originally I meant to have one panel at each end of the Yard, however if I go this way I will need some perspex to create the panels.
Another way to do it is to cut out and install the facia panel along the front of the layout, using 5 mm masonite sheets about 200 mm high bt I might have to add to the edge of the board in a couple of places to build my Super shed and the cement siding. So the panels is the way I will go after I get some perspex from town.
Here is a photo story on how to build a servo point motor ;)


Well here I am assembling my servo point motors. Difficult to know where it is, but pictures were timed as I was on my own. You can see the vegemite jar contains the white plastic cranks that have to be attached to the shaft on the servo motor,


The servo simply snaps into the base and is held by one screw. But before you do that you need to know that the shaft is centered so that the crank can swing in both directions.


I have a small battery box I purchased from Tam Valley, and by holding my finger on the shaft whilst connecting the device I can feel the servo wind and center itself. Once satisfied, simply connect the crank at right angles and tighten it with the screw provided


They provide an actuating wire which needs to be fixed to the actuator and then bent to a shape to present a wire pivoting from side to side to change the points direction.(click on picture to see a bigger picture)


I used pliers to bend the end into a U shape and as the actuator arm has multiple holes in it, I threaded the long end through the outermost hole and the short end into the best fit, then bent it flat with the actuator arm, to present a firm join



Here it is bent to shape and fixed in place


Different angle.





pressed onto the shaft with the actuating wire passed through the small access pivot hole in the board


This is the small circuit board purchased from Tam Valley for about $6. This is a push button device with two bi-color LEDs that indicate the point throw as well as help adjust the motor for optimum travel and service. And that is my next job :) assemble 21 of these and mount them into signal panels.

EDIT Done :)
(Well it will be as soon as I get my MBR fixed on the main computer :(  I have picked up something and lost my C and E Drives. And of course I deleted the pics on my camera when I added them to the damaged drive! I can see whats on the drives using another computer. Just cannot boot the C Drive anymore)

Cheers
Rod

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

All comments and suggestions from like minded individuals always welcomed. Help make this railway better :D