2010 June 3

2010 June 3 Thursday  (page 16 of 35)

Thursday June 3 2010
Very Quiet here today, worked around the house.
Package from Auscision arrived today 8 lovely NLKY some blue, some weathered red. Very nice
Placed them on the track, departed shed and did not go back in :)
Maybe tomorrow :lol:

2010 June 23  Wednesday

Haven't done a damn thing!
Oh I did soak some weed in 98% Glycol to preserve them. Strip some wiring from the Branch line and spend a heap of money!
Purchased a BGM brass K Class , never been run :mrgreen:
Purchased 3 extra Locsound mini decoders and arranged 10 new sound projects from BG sound DCCSOUND.com
Purchased 15 Steam Era kits built, painted and decalled. Thanks Corey :)
and started building a ME plate girder bridge... All or almost all inside the house with very little time spent in the Studio. maybe tomorrow?

2010 June 28   Monday  Bloody Cold Brrrrr!!

 Dear All
some pictures that tell the story

 The two red wires lower down are the DCC bus lines. They are named "inner" and "Outer"
The outer was supposed to be black but I got two 100 m rolls for $44 and the cable is
low resistance Audio cable able to move up to 35 amps for long distances
Each globe protects a track, so three blue wires marked 1,2 and 3 feed power to 3 tracks
via a 21 watt 12 volt auto globe. The auto globe takes the load caused by any shorts,
thus allowing the rest of the layout to run normally. Without the globes the short would
shut down the entire territory.

The Powerline S Car project.

 The bottom of the bland toy like S Car. Here you see the cheap bogie and how it is press fitted to
the car. The couplings are temporarily glued to the body, after cutting the "dunny seat" Lima
couplings away from the bogie. You can see the cut at the right of the bogie centre beam.

On the left you can see the cheap Powerline wheel sets. Supposed to be a hobby item, its a toy!!
The SEM RP25 wheel sets that replaced them are on the right.

 I have had this little tool for many years. The SEM wheel sets were too tight, so I gently opened
up the holes with the tool. It is adjustable and is rotated with the thumb whilst holding the side
frames tightly. The depth is set by loosening the allen screw. The length of the cut is determined by
the amount of cutter exposed.

Rotating the cutter. The thumb and fore finger would be covering the axle boxes and squeezing would create the cutting action.

  The crossbeam is files flat and a styrene piece is glued in place to help keep the bogie strong when
the hole is drilled through the beam.

 The bolster is filled with styrene pipe and glued

 And attached with a loose 8 BA screw. 

  A suitable length of C section, is then glued to the car floor to simulate the missing centre beam,
the top is cleared to allow the air reservoir to poke through.

Now all that is required is to paint the beam and weather the existing details. Adjust the couplings
for closer fit and put it on the track once again.
13 more to go. And I have found some working concertinas so I will fit those too.


2010 June 28   Monday.... Still 

Well Look at what I have got here :)
Brand New in 1982.. and been out of the box, and never turned an axle under its own power.
It had been assembled wrong and a tender bogie was turned 180 which shorted out when on the track (I think)

The pictures are provided without further comment (almost) :)


( Edit on 2013 March 3
This Loco has since been sent off to DCC Sounds and been fitted with a Loksound genuine K Class unit. As well it was tweaked and fitted with extra pickups as well as lighting.
Despite being un-used we also repaired the valve gear, after a solder point failed )

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments and suggestions from like minded individuals always welcomed. Help make this railway better :D