2010 August 24

2010  August 24   Tuesday  (Page 18 of 35)

Well I am feeling better and have made a few changes in the room... and to the room.
The first thing was to work out a means of cooling down the west wall on the Studio. I have attacked this in two ways. The first thing was to get our friends at Rand Sheds, to build us a new car port 5.5 m wide and 15 m long to protect that wall from the direct sun. As well it gives us a place to keep our cars cool, and hang out the washing on a wet day :lol:
I managed to get my hands on a "swampy" air conditioner, and although second hand was in great condition and it came out of a 16 sq house, plenty of capacity to cool the room, The quoted installation price sets it at a price $2000 cheaper than a new one.

Well I have been saving for a while and added some new items to our inventory. Have now ordered a second series R Class, which appears to be in very good condition.
Have sent my SEM R Class kit away to have it built, by Mansfield, and I am stoked that he will build it for me.
After some agonising I was very happy to order a new A2 Walscheart's gear oil burner from Precision Brass
Precision Scale Models

I can only tell you I was enthusiastic about what John Della is doing, and loved the samples and enjoyed my time with John at Caulfield.

I also came from Caulfield with a brass F Class (F315) from Train Builder


I have been warned that the DCC wiring is suspect, and tonight was spent tracing the circuitry to test that it was in fact ok. No results yet.
I loved the Aurora cars, but $650 a car, I need a minimum of 10 cars and really wanted 13 cars means I cant afford it :( Wait for the plastic fantastic from Auscision!!

I also purchased 12 Austrains I wagons and 6 B Vans. I am pretty happy with the wagons.
A pack of steel wagons (ESX) and V/Line Y146
Recent rationalisation meant that I sold off those Locomotives that did not fit into my modelling period.
I disposed of the CLP's some Freight Australia X Class, NSW 80 Class, and a mustard pot 700.
I decided to keep the 930's for sentimental reasons :)


 2010 August 25  Wednesday

Revisiting the branch.
The local pick up goods hauled by Y131 has a load of freshly out shopped wagons today to be stored along the line in preparation for the Spring harvest.

Bullarto is looking better. Tracks have lined up nicely, but have decided to lay new track over the joins and replace all the points for more reliable operation

B60 has 3 AW type cars in charge today, because the school has booked one car for an excursion into Town today. Whilst loading the kids on, Y131 sneaks out onto the main to shunt the yard.

 The I trucks appear to be hauling cut styrene down the branch :) 

The B Vans are stored here this time of year in anticipation of the tobacco crop, which will soon require clean dry vans to be transported to the Melbourne Bond stores.
The F Class appears to have cooked the side rod journals once more. Seems a waste of time sending it out here all the time, only to have to tow her back after only a few days work. However the Y Class shunting engines have become very useful branchline goods engines, forcing the F Class back into shunting duties.

The hand brakes have been heavily locked down. I believe we might require a bit of scratch building to get them to the upper travelling position. What a stupid thing to do :(  

The I wagons might require the same treatment.

 Y131 sets back towards its train, before departing for Trentham.

The newest addition to the Railway is a model of South Grafton Station and Loco shed.

The small layout was designed to Exhibit about 15 years ago, but I suspect it was not actually used. I decided to buy it off E-Bay to help expedite the running of trains on this layout.
It is turning out to be a tougher project than I imagined. Construction is of a high quality.

 The turntable and shed.

 Station, Goods Shed and Yard

 Looking along the main Yard

 The trestle into South Grafton. Unfortunately damaged in transit. Will not attach it to the Sth Grafton module, instead will use it to return the branch towards the terminal station.

 This piece of Double line was used to help stage trains into and out of South Grafton. I am converting it to use it elsewhere.


 2010 August 29   1416 hours Sunday

Hooray the sun is out it is 5 degrees C warmer, its stopped raining and I am enthusiastic once again :mrgreen:
Busy joining the branch line to the main line.
First job is to complete the bench top.
Yesterday I had some visitors, all adults and only one could see my top level at eye height. Hmmm! It is unfortunately 500mls higher than I wanted because the base board depth is greater than needed. The fix will have to be a slide out false floor which I will be able to secure in the out position for the "hobbitts" to be able to see the top level. Bunnings sell some wheels with locking clips on them, similar to those used on portable barbecue's? Note to self, it is important to have visitors, Tony and I are about the same height, and we did not notice.
Anyway cup of tea is now empty... back into the carpentry, me thinks :) Pictures tonight

2010 August 29  2133 hours Sunday continues

Not a lot to show for 5 hours work :)
However the boxing had to be cut out and levelled, attached to the steel uprights and then attached to the braced angle brackets. These had to be adjusted and fixed to the vertical posts.
This took some setting up, clamping, adjusting etc
I am happy with the result. ;) 

The front board is perfectly level, however it has to open out another 5cm to match the Bullarto module, and I simply curved it out to the first cross piece. That is what you see here.

The single track will twist and climb a steep little grade to reach the Bullarto level.



No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments and suggestions from like minded individuals always welcomed. Help make this railway better :D